We are thrilled to announce that several organizations focused on issues that impact the Autism community are coming together to host an Autism Advocacy Day at the Virginia General Assembly on Tuesday, January 31, 2023. We invite you to join us for this important opportunity to let your voices be heard.
This is a special day for members of Virginia’s Autism community to have an in-person visit with their legislators, network with community members, and be recognized on the chamber floor to highlight our advocacy.
During our meetings with legislators, we will ask them to support pieces of legislation that enhances services and supports for autistic individuals and their families. At noon, we will be introduced and recognized in the Senate and House chambers. All are also invited to connect with each other over lunch at Meriwether’s Market in the nearby Truist building to network and debrief our legislative meetings. There will not be any lunch vouchers, so please bring your own funds. The day will wrap up around 2 pm.
Register here as soon as possible so we can begin scheduling your legislative appointments. We cannot schedule appointments without your registration information.
Schedule for the Day:
- 8:45 AM – Room opens for gathering & picking up materials
- 9:00 – 11:00 AM – Appointments with Legislators in small groups
- 11:15 AM – Meet to walk over to the Capitol Building for introductions on the Senate and House floors.
- 12:00 PM – Introductions in House & Senate Chambers OR Lunch & Networking (Meriwether’s Market on the 3rd floor of the Truist Building)
- 1:00 PM – Lunch for those coming from Senate & House Chambers (Meriwether’s Market on the 3rd floor of the Truist Building)
Questions? Please reach out to [email protected] or the organization attending from your area:
Autism Society of Central Virginia: Ann Flippin
Autism Society of Tidewater Virginia: Nicole Miller
Autism Society of Northern Virginia: Sharon Cummings
Virginia Autism Project: Teresa Champion
Commonwealth Autism & LRIDD: Brian Kelmar