On this page, you will find information about school-related resources, including:
- Individualized Education Programs (IEPs)
- Special Education
- School Placement Options
- Educational Advocates
- Advocacy Organizations
- Educational Consultants
ASCV IEP WORKSHOP: The pursuit of special education services for a child can be overwhelming to some families. In this presentation, Donna Sabel, an IEP Advisor at Medical Home Plus (MHP), provides an overview of the process from referral to the development of an Individual Education Progam (IEP). This information can be useful to families who are seeking this help because their child is experiencing developmental delays and difficulties with learning. The organization that Donna represents, Medical Home Plus (MHP), offers IEP Advisory assistance to families at no charge for those who qualify. Information on how to access this help can be found on MHP’s website: https://medhomeplus.org/services/.
ADDITIONAL ASCV RESOURCES:
- Caregivers of Young Children Support Group – This group is for caregivers of children in preschool and elementary school. It meets virtually one Wednesday per month from 6-7pm. For more information and to find out when our next meeting is, visit our ASCV Program and Event Calendar.
- Caregivers of Teens & Adults Support Group – This group is for caregivers of teens and adults. It meets virtually one Monday per month from 6-7pm. For more information and to find out when our next meeting is, visit our ASCV Program and Event Calendar.
- Information & Referral – Our Information & Referral service provides one-on-one guidance to caregivers, individuals with autism, and professionals on a variety of topics (typically by phone and email) to connect them with the best possible local, state, and national resources.
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES ACT (IDEA)
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is a federal law that ensures a free and appropriate public education (FAPE) for students ages 3-21 who fall within specific disability categories and who require specialized services and supports. IDEA provides for individualized services and supports that ensure students with disabilities can access and benefit from the general curriculum as well as related services such as counseling, speech, occupational therapy, transportation, and more.
SPECIAL EDUCATION RESOURCES:
- A Parent’s Guide to Special Education
- Factsheet for Virginia’s Parents – Eligibility Factsheet
- Special Education Terms & Acronyms
- A Parent’s Guide to Special Education Dispute Resolution
- Your Family’s Special Education Rights
- Extended School Year Services
- Guidelines for Conducting Functional Behavior Assessment and Developing Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports
ADVOCATES & ADVOCACY ORGANIZATIONS:
- BE THE CHANGE, VIRGINIA ADVOCATES, LLC; 804-615-7762; [email protected]
- DONNA SABEL, Ed.D, LLC; 804-347-3805; [email protected]
- MEDICAL HOME PLUS; 804-330-5030
- PARENT EDUCATIONAL ADVOCACY TRAINING CENTER (PEATC); 703-923-0010
- SPECIAL EDUCATION MADE EASY; 804-433-7313
- VIRGINIA PARENT ADVOCATES, LLC; 804-366-0046